It’s complicated. The weather, I mean. Rain, sun, warm, cold, spin it all around round… But life too, is complicated. Oh wait, there’s a film called that, isn’t there?
So What To Wear In Confusing Climes?
- The trench. I mean it’s big this season. In classic beige and dark green/olive/khaki seem to be the best bets (Mango do a khaki one as well & so do Me & Em – this is shorter btw!). This one I found in store while in Portugal on another weather confused day and emergency bought. Well, mainly because I just quite liked it. It is long on me obvs, but the fit is otherwise good and I love the button detailing on the sleeve. I have another trench which is a bit thinner but less protective and with raglan shoulders which I don’t always feel like wearing…
- The knit. This is key because on a wet, grey day there will come a point when you tire and just feel cold. Which is horrid. More than lightweight is what you need for these moments, and I am quite deeply attached to this lovely knitted, cosy as mid-weight, cardy from Rouje (sadly sold out, but they do restock so get an alert!). Guaranteed cosy moments every time I put it one and very necessary for the next point.
- The chunky kicks. These Reimagined AirForce 1 Nikes in particular (sold out, but restocking end of Aug I’ve been reliably informed!) with which I am deeply obsessed because of their cool looks and height giving properties. But the point is I’m wearing them with bare ankles. Cos despite all appearances: We. Are. Technically. In. Spring. But hence keeping warm on the rest of the body.
- The dress. Ok, still not sure if dress over trousers is going to ever make its full comeback, but as we um and ah it’s a brilliant way of adding another layer on a weather-erratic day. Note neutral coloured – I think a flowery dress would take this outfit places I wouldn’t necessarily want to go! The top part, not on show, is short-sleeved with a belt. You can see it in full here from Finery.
- The jeans. Just some of my best basic denim really, the Seattle from Weekday. These are my go-to when I want a more androgynous jean look, nice and straight with a good waist.
Complicated? Or maybe not all that complicated. Bit of an experiment really, but I quite like it. But in all hope, see you back in the land of sunny… !
Trench coat | Mango
Dress* | Finery
Knit* | Rouje
Bag* | C Nichol
Jeans | Weekday
Watch* | Larsson Jennings
Shoes | Nike
Sunglasses | Le Specs
This post contains affiliate links | Asterisked items sent for review
New Necklace Alert!
On the middle chain is my new ‘spinner’ pendant which spells out ‘I LOVE YOU’ when it spins. Originally a Victorian thing, these were big in the ’80s and are now making a comeback! Found this all out from the lovely Bear Brooksbank, who sources these as part of her antique & vintage collection. Contact Bear direct to find out more and if you would like one!